I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Macy’s CEO Terry Lundgren will go to the grave–and take the former Marshall Field’s with him–before he and his team get a clue about how to treat Chicagoans.
Who says you can’t teach an old Macy’s, Inc. CEO new tricks? Last week, Crain’s Chicago Business and the Chicago Tribune both announced the rollout of a new Macy’s marketing campaign entitled, ‘Take Me to State Street.’ According to the papers, the campaign will be full-court media push highlighting the flagship State Street store as a premiere retail destination. It’s about time.
It’s generally not a good sign when the ABC news van is parked in front of your establishment in the middle of the business day. ABC was reporting on food health violations at the new Macy’s State Street. I’d much rather discuss the economic health of the store after a year of deaf-eared marketing decisions by Federated CEO Terry Lundgren.
If you thought you heard a citywide refrain of ‘I told you so’ yesterday, you weren’t imagining things. According to a report in Wednesday’s Chicago Tribune, Federated finally admits feeling financial pain over a hardcore group of former Marshall Field’s shoppers who decided to quit shopping the chain when the nameplate was switched to Macy’s last fall.