This post is part of my “Compassionate Resistance” series, a regular roundup of stories of local resistance from across America. This series was inspired by and is part of Powerful Resistance, a grassroots project to counter the injustice of the current administration by promoting positive stories of justice and compassion.
- Learn more about my Compassionate Resistance series.
- Browse my Compassionate Resistance series archive.
- Follow my Compassionate Resistance Twitter feed at @Comp2Resist.
- Learn more about the Powerful Resistance project on Facebook.
- NYC Schools Chief Reassures Parents After Fed Immigration Agents Show Up at Elementary School, Ask About 4th Grader (NBC 4 New York): “…We are assuring parents that not only were the agents never allowed beyond the front door, that in the future they will actually be kept out on the sidewalk…”
- A DIY Resistance Tries to Keep the Fight Against Trump Fresh (NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth): “A day that they spend worrying about you is a day that they’re not ending Medicare, privatizing public schools, or preparing a Muslim registry.”
- Texas Latinos Launch 100 Days of Resistance to Protect Sanctuary Cities (Common Dreams): “This is only going to unite us and we’re going to be resilient in these times of terrorization and discrimination against our community.”
- Pramila Jayapal Wants Democrats to Know That Resistance Is Not Enough (The Nation): “…We’re not only an opposition party; we’re a proposition party. We’re proposing our vision of the future, and as people are rejecting what they see in front of them, they can turn to us.”
- Texas may have ceded huge business benefits to California with sanctuary cities law (Texas Tribune TribTalk): “Not only do big-money industries rely heavily on work from undocumented immigrants, but a number of sectors in the Texas agriculture industry, like beef/dairy, are in direct competition with Californians.”
- Why I’m Glad My Son Married An Immigrant (West Roxbury Patch): “To paraphrase JFK, they ask not what their country can do for them, but what they can do for their country.”
- ‘We see them, we care about them’: Madison churches consider providing sanctuary for immigrants (Madison.com): “Over 20 congregations and campus ministries in the Dane County area are spearheading a range of services for immigrants in danger of deportation.”
- Op-Ed: Restore Voting Rights to People on Parole and Probation (NJ Spotlight): “New Jersey’s criminal disfranchisement law should be seen for what it is: a relic of the past that has no place in a modern democratic society.”
- A revitalized sanctuary movement is spreading to unexpected places, resisting the threats posed by Trump’s presidency. (In These Times): “We recognize sanctuary should not be a single-issue movement, because we don’t live single-issue lives.”
- Interviews for Resistance: On the Commodification of Education (In These Times): “…Watching the students turn their back on Betsy DeVos is also their turning their back on that idea that this is just about getting your degree.”
Categories: COMPASSIONATE RESISTANCE
Michael Thaddeus Doyle
I'm a NYC-native, Latino, Jew-by-choice, hardcore WDW fan in Chicago with an Irish last name. I believe in social justice, big cities, and public transit. I do nonprofit development. I've written this blog since 2005. Believe in the world you want to live in.