This post is part of my “Compassionate Resistance” series, a regular roundup of stories of local resistance from across America. This series was inspired by and is part of Powerful Resistance, a grassroots project to counter the injustice of the current administration by promoting positive stories of justice and compassion.
- Learn more about my Compassionate Resistance series.
- Browse my Compassionate Resistance series archive.
- Follow my Compassionate Resistance Twitter feed at @Comp2Resist.
- Learn more about the Powerful Resistance project on Facebook.
- Toward Love, Healing, Resilience & Alignment: The Inner Work of Social Transformation & Justice (Nonprofit Quarterly): “Of the emerging insights, many are finding answers in the vital connection between inner work—transforming ourselves—and outer work, or transforming the world.”
- Riverside church says it will house immigrants at risk of deportation (Press-Enterprise): “We feel in our particular congregation that the sanctuary movement allows us to enact and embody that commitment to justice.”
- Meet the husband-wife duo who are sparking a liberal Tea Party movement (Mercury News): “Levin and Greenberg are hoping to spark a progressive version of the Tea Party movement…”
- Latino Muslims embrace heritage, faith in Trump’s America (New York Daily News): “Being a Latino Muslim in America gives me the ability to educate people from different points of view and being able to get people to know one another.”
- Pregnant, Pro-Choice and Leading the Resistance For Reproductive Freedom in Nevada (Popsugar): “I believe that every woman should have this same opportunity to decide if, when, and how to get pregnant on her own terms.”
- “We have to stand up and be counted,” says Indian-American running for Washington State Senate (News India Times): “We have to stand up and be counted. So this is me standing up and being counted.”
- Civil Rights Icon John Lewis Tells MCLA Grads to ‘Get in the Way’ (iBerkshires): “We’ve come too far, we’ve made too much progress and we must not go back, we must go forward as a nation.”
- Gov. Brown’s budget proposal includes an extra $15 million to help Californians facing deportation (Los Angeles Times): “The movement has centered on showing that many immigrants would be granted relief if they had the resources to prove their cases and that for some, the repercussions of deportation could lead to death.”
- Thousands of Mother’s Day Cards Sent to Muslim, Immigrant Moms (NBC News): “The hope is that the collaboration of artists and activists across the country, will not only lift the spirits of these women, but also raise awareness about the many family structures in America often marginalized in media and policy discussions.”
- Support for Same-Sex Marriage Hits All-Time High (New Civil Rights Movement): “Now…support for marriage equality stands at 64 percent.”
Categories: COMPASSIONATE RESISTANCE
Michael Thaddeus Doyle
I'm a NYC-native, Latino, Jew-by-choice, hardcore WDW fan in Chicago with an Irish last name. I believe in social justice, big cities, and public transit. I do nonprofit development. I've written this blog since 2005. Believe in the world you want to live in.