This post is part of my “Compassionate Resistance” series, a regular roundup of stories of local resistance from across America. This series was inspired by and is part of Powerful Resistance, a grassroots project to counter the injustice of the current administration by promoting positive stories of justice and compassion.
- Learn more about my Compassionate Resistance series.
- Browse my Compassionate Resistance series archive.
- Follow my Compassionate Resistance Twitter feed at @Comp2Resist.
- Learn more about the Powerful Resistance project on Facebook.
- Interviews for Resistance: Why the Fight for Single-Payer Is More Important Than Ever (In These Times): “There has been a whole shift in the way we think about healthcare towards, at least, an implicit recognition of healthcare as a right.”
- Jimmy Kimmel Slams Conservatives: ‘I’d Like to Apologize for Saying Children in America Should Have Healthcare’ (New Civil Rights Movement): “I would like to apologize for saying that children in America should have health care. It was insensitive. It was offensive, and I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me.”
- Trump-fighting Miami billionaire founds group, gives $1M for deportation-fighting lawyers (Politico): “The simple goal is for every cent to go to defend the non-felon undocumented who are being targeted and arrested.”
- Cupertino council vows to protect residents’ constitutional rights in resolution (Mercury News): “The resolution itself states that the city ‘rejects bigotry in all its forms, including, but not limited to, Islamophobia, anti-Semitism, racism, nativism, misogyny and homophobia…'”
- Second largest school district in U.S. moves to protect undocumented immigrants from federal agents (Washington Post): “The Los Angeles school board’s resolution…calls on district Superintendent Michelle King to create, within 90 days, a plan to train teachers, administrators and staff how to react if ICE agents come to the school.”
- Southwest Florida Community Foundation Will Help Immigrants (Fort Myers Florida Weekly): “Immigration Legal Services is a project that…(places) a qualified immigration attorney in a location convenient for clients who would otherwise not be able to access such legal help of or afford it.”
- From facing Islamophobia, to creating a hit website that fights Muslim caricatures (PRI): “Now, this little thing that I started in my bedroom when I was a teenager, has really grown to take on a life of its own.”
- Partnerships between community-based orgs are ‘integral’ to serving immigrants (Generocity): “By embedding legal services where immigrants live and work…CLS seeks to foster relationships with immigrant communities in a way that reaches beyond the impact of a single onsite attorney.”
- Local organizations seek resources to stabilize Latino, immigrant families (Mission Local): “We started a fund solely for client emergency needs…because we needed to put cash in their hands.”
- Want to fight Islamophobia? Talk to a Muslim (Crosscut): “If we want to change people’s perspectives…and let them know, ‘Hey, we’re just like you,’ then we have to actually go out there and do that.”
Categories: COMPASSIONATE RESISTANCE
Michael Thaddeus Doyle
I'm a NYC-native, Latino, Jew-by-choice, hardcore WDW fan in Chicago with an Irish last name. I believe in social justice, big cities, and public transit. I do nonprofit development. I've written this blog since 2005. Believe in the world you want to live in.