This post is part of my “Compassionate Resistance” series, a regular roundup of stories of local resistance from across America. This series was inspired by and is part of Powerful Resistance, a grassroots project to counter the injustice of the current administration by promoting positive stories of justice and compassion.
- Learn more about my Compassionate Resistance series.
- Browse my Compassionate Resistance series archive.
- Follow my Compassionate Resistance Twitter feed at @Comp2Resist.
- Learn more about the Powerful Resistance project on Facebook.
- The Trump Documents (The Onion): “The Onion has obtained hundreds of documents from an anonymous source within the White House.” And it’s as awesome as it sounds.
- Democrats Are Shaming Republicans by Holding Town Halls in GOP Districts (New Republic): “…There are also obvious advantages to ‘adopt a district,’ most importantly the press it generates on multiple levels.”
- Transgender rights advocate says stories are key to acceptance (Akron Beacon Journal): “So how do we get out of this mess? There is an answer and only one answer: stories.”
- The Voting Rights Act May Be Coming Back From the Dead (Mother Jones): “On June 25, 2013, the Supreme Court killed the core provision of the Voting Rights Act. Four years later, it may be coming back from the dead.”
- Muslim cook wanted to stop the hate. So she started inviting strangers to dinner. (Washington Post): “She cooks — often in her own home and sometimes, as on this vacation trip, in a borrowed kitchen — and the couple answers any questions guests might have about their religion.”
- McCain hammers Tillerson in NYT op-ed (Politico): “It is foolish to view realism and idealism as incompatible or to consider our power and wealth as encumbered by the demands of justice, morality and conscience.”
- Hindu Temple in Queens Joins Sanctuary Movement (New York Times): “Let the mandirs, the temples, be a place where people can come to feel comforted, protected and feel some sense of worth within their life.”
- Correction: Republican bloodsuckers who sentenced poor to die didn’t drink Bud Light (AV Club): “We assumed, incorrectly, that this Bud Light was intended to be the cheap swill that would briefly douse the taste of brimstone licking the throats of these pasty wraiths as they boarded a bus headed toward their feast of bones…”
- Trump Is Catalyst for Gov. Brown’s Changing Position on ‘Sanctuary Cities’ (Times of San Diego): “The governor understands we are dealing with a different world. The state needs to send a more reassuring message to its residents.”
- This Reporter Couldn’t Be More Wrong About Anti-Trump Activism (Media Matters): “This is a time of historic protests and activism against the bigoted and hateful policies of President Donald Trump.”
- Fighting Trump? Your best weapon is the one you least expect (Yahoo News): “2017 will be the year you learn the value of practicing kindness — at least if the resistance has anything to say about it.”
Categories: COMPASSIONATE RESISTANCE
Michael Thaddeus Doyle
I'm a NYC-native, Latino, Jew-by-choice, hardcore WDW fan in Chicago with an Irish last name. I believe in social justice, big cities, and public transit. I do nonprofit development. I've written this blog since 2005. Believe in the world you want to live in.