This post is part of my “Compassionate Resistance” series, a regular roundup of stories of local resistance from across America. This series was inspired by and is part of Powerful Resistance, a grassroots project to counter the injustice of the current administration by promoting positive stories of justice and compassion.
- Learn more about my Compassionate Resistance series.
- Browse my Compassionate Resistance series archive.
- Follow my Compassionate Resistance Twitter feed at @Comp2Resist.
- Learn more about the Powerful Resistance project on Facebook.
- Rev. Barber: Trump’s First National Day of Prayer Is a Public Spectacle (ThinkProgress): “The gaudy spectacle of today’s hypocritical ceremony is a culmination of decades of National Days of Prayer. But this is not the prayer that the God of the Bible hears.”
- Rogers Park Effort Aims to ‘Ruin’ ICE’s Plans (WBEZ): “It’s about interfering with them, confusing them, slowing them down so they can’t take more people, and doing it so well that they never want to come back.”
- #VetsFightHate: Immigrants Who Served in U.S. Military Take Message Directly to Online Hatemongers (Southern Poverty Law Center): “Vets Fight Hate has compiled a series of videos from the veterans, both in response to specific tweets and more general videos that can be used more broadly.”
- NY Promoting Its Equal Rights Attractions (Journal News): “New York has a proud legacy of promoting equal rights, and this campaign will raise awareness of our state’s destinations surrounding those historic events.”
- Why The L.A. Times, The ACLU, And Black Lives Matter Oppose Measure C (LAist): “It is especially troubling that a ballot measure seeks to overturn decades of effort towards meaningful police reform.”
- Twitter Users Are Sharing Moving Stories About Fears of Losing Protections for Pre-Existing Conditions (Quartz): “Many shared fears of a rollback of protections for people with pre-existing conditions, one of Obamacare’s most popular features.”
- New Campaign Addresses Misunderstandings about Muslims in Oklahoma (Tahlequah Daily Press): “The idea is to help give Oklahomans a personal look into the everyday lives of some of the 30,000 to 40,000 Muslims who call Oklahoma home.”
- Michigan County to Financially Aid Immigrant Community (U.S. News): “Washnetaw County denounces expanded immigration actions by the federal government that destabilize our communities by creating an atmosphere of fear and isolation for our residents from other countries and their families regardless of their immigration status.”
- This Instagram Account Is Documenting Every Anti-Donald Trump Sticker in NYC (Huffington Post): “Olmstead, 32, said he was inspired to chronicle the often inconspicuous works of art after seeing the message ‘Fuck Trump’ scrawled on New York City’s Manhattan Bridge.”
- Gettysburg Community Holds Vigil to Support Immigrants (Evening Sun): “‘We stand with immigrants’ read three banners — in English, Spanish and Arabic.”
Categories: COMPASSIONATE RESISTANCE
Michael Thaddeus Doyle
I'm a NYC-native, Latino, Jew-by-choice, hardcore WDW fan in Chicago with an Irish last name. I believe in social justice, big cities, and public transit. I do nonprofit development. I've written this blog since 2005. Believe in the world you want to live in.