This post is part of my “Compassionate Resistance” series, a regular roundup of stories of local resistance from across America. This series was inspired by and is part of Powerful Resistance, a grassroots project to counter the injustice of the current administration by promoting positive stories of justice and compassion.
- Learn more about my Compassionate Resistance series.
- Browse my Compassionate Resistance series archive.
- Follow my Compassionate Resistance Twitter feed at @Comp2Resist.
- Learn more about the Powerful Resistance project on Facebook.
- President Trump Threatened to Withhold Money From Sanctuary Cities. They May Not Lose That Much (Time): “A TIME examination of the eight grants cited in the letters…found that many do not come with large price tags by government standards.”
- Teen Wears Black Lives Matter Inspired Prom Dress (NBC News): “Bolden-Morris said the highlight of her night was when Trayvon Martin’s mother, Sybrina Fulton, reached out to her. Fulton told her she was proud of her courage and boldness…”
- 6 Reasons Why Love Made Me A Progressive Christian (Patheos): “You know what ultimately ‘saved’ me from my prejudice toward LGBTQ+ persons, more than any philosophical or scientific or biblical argument? People. Like, actually having friends who are LGBTQ+. Turns out they are just like me! Their love is really love—not selfish, twisted, or God-hating.”
- Volunteers Usher US Immigrants to Court to Allay Their Fears (US News): “Accompaniment volunteers aren’t lawyers and don’t offer legal advice, but they say they’ve become an important part of the support network of immigrants because their presence in a courtroom or waiting room shows the immigrant has ties to the community.”
- Jim Hightower’s Tips for Resistance: Donald Is Deranged, but People Are Fighting Back From Coast to Coast (Alternet): “The most fruitful place to support this movement is right where you live and work. A feisty, creative civic spirit is igniting old and new activists in nearly every zip code.”
- Dear White Christians (An Invitation to Take On Five Commitments For Racial Justice (Patheos): “When we enter into relationships with people who aren’t from our white Christian background, let’s not put the burden on them to educate us.”
- Mom’s Heart Fuels Refugee Family’s Soul: SoCal Mom Crowdsources Household Essentials for Refugees (NBC Los Angeles): “…Is a family that just got here from Afghanistan going to have beds to sleep on tonight? We can solve that problem and that’s what we do.”
- How the ACLU Is Evolving to Fight Trump in Streets—Not Just the Courtroom (Fast Company): “…The group is now hoping to enlist more people to lobby for the rights of others in ways that could lead to policy or law changes that afford people more civil protections before they get targeted.”
- Montana Community Comes Together After Neo-Nazi Troll Attack (USA Today): “People have embraced my Judaism. Our town jumped in…My community sent a lot of love.”
- Newburyport City Council Adopts Resolution to Protect Immigrants Rights (Newburyport News): “The resolution cites the city’s formal commitment to civil rights, drafted April 29, 1778, as well as the work of Newburyport-born abolitionist William Lloyd Garrison and other residents who have protected civil liberties throughout history.”
Categories: COMPASSIONATE RESISTANCE
Michael Thaddeus Doyle
I'm a NYC-native, Latino, Jew-by-choice, hardcore WDW fan in Chicago with an Irish last name. I believe in social justice, big cities, and public transit. I do nonprofit development. I've written this blog since 2005. Believe in the world you want to live in.