This post is part of my “Compassionate Resistance” series, a regular roundup of stories of local resistance from across America. This series was inspired by and is part of Powerful Resistance, a grassroots project to counter the injustice of the current administration by promoting positive stories of justice and compassion.
- Learn more about my Compassionate Resistance series.
- Browse my Compassionate Resistance series archive.
- Follow my Compassionate Resistance Twitter feed at @Comp2Resist.
- Learn more about the Powerful Resistance project on Facebook.
- This Is How You Win a Campaign Against Transphobia (ThinkProgress): “Building on decades of local community-based organizing, Trans United Fund has brought together movement leaders from across the country who have one important thing in common: they’re all transgender.”
- Fighting Fake News with Immigrant Stories (Civil Eats): “Almost every culture has a tradition of family meals. By telling these personal, beautiful and inspiring stories, I think there’s an opportunity to get someone to have a little different perspective on one family or a group of people or culture.”
- Immigrant Bakery Workers Plan ‘Day Without Bread’ to Protest Layoffs (Eater New York): “They are also asking restaurants, bakeries, and diners across the city to go a ‘Day Without Bread’ by not selling or eating bread, a way ‘to protest the Trump administration’s inhumane clapdown on immigrants.'”
- Evanston Refugee Task Force Unveils New ‘Welcoming City’ Webpage (DailY Northwestern): “The webpage effort was spearheaded by the city’s housing policy and planning analyst, Savannah Clement, to create a singular location for refugees to access a comprehensive list of resources.”
- Minnesota Muslim Teen Wins Fight to Box Wearing a Hijab (Minneapolis Star-Tribune): “A new USA Boxing exemption means Zafar can adhere to her religious beliefs rather than to a mandate that she wear a sleeveless jersey and shorts that can’t go below the knees.”
- Senate Approves Racial Justice Oversight Board Bill (VT Digger): “A focus on reclassification of the criminal code is an important step toward ensuring justice is meted out evenly across the state.”
- Evangelicals Are Fleeing Their Churches Over Trump’s Radical Agenda (LGBTQ Nation): “Those who felt that they and their clergy disagreed over Trump in September were the most likely to report leaving that house of worship by November.”
- A Young Latino Arab American Throws His Hat in Congressional Ring (NBC News): “Arab Americans have faced stereotyping and discrimination after the 9/11 attacks. But Campa-Najjar believes he can use his experience in Gaza and California to bridge divides and listen to voters’ anxieties about terrorism.”
- Jeanette Vizguerra, Undocumented Denver Immigrant, Honored As One of TIME’s 100 Most Influential People (Denverite): “Jeanette moved to the U.S. to be a janitor, working as an outspoken union organizer and building her own company before becoming an advocate for immigration reform — a bold and risky thing for an undocumented immigrant.”
- On Open Letter to Those Praising the New York Times ‘Tomboy’ Piece (The Establishment): “A white young person being asked questions about her gender is not a new problem and it is not a problem that should be blamed on trans people or trans affirmative shifts in society or medicine.”
Categories: COMPASSIONATE RESISTANCE
Michael Thaddeus Doyle
I'm a NYC-native, Latino, Jew-by-choice, hardcore WDW fan in Chicago with an Irish last name. I believe in social justice, big cities, and public transit. I do nonprofit development. I've written this blog since 2005. Believe in the world you want to live in.