This post is part of my “Compassionate Resistance” series, a regular roundup of stories of local resistance from across America. This series was inspired by and is part of Powerful Resistance, a grassroots project to counter the injustice of the current administration by promoting positive stories of justice and compassion.
- Learn more about my Compassionate Resistance series.
- Browse my Compassionate Resistance series archive.
- Follow my Compassionate Resistance Twitter feed at @Comp2Resist.
- Learn more about the Powerful Resistance project on Facebook.
- NYPD Commissioner Hailed for Pro-Immigrant Twitter Jab at Trump (New York Daily News): “BTW, her 473 fellow recruits hail from 43 countries, speak 27 languages…”
- 2 New Haven Churches To Act As Short-Term Sanctuaries for Undocumented Immigrants Facing Deportation (New Haven Register): “In the future, if we have a shower, we will think about a long-term (stay), because we want to serve people…”
- Metro Churches Encourage 1 Million Acts of Love (WOWT 6 Omaha): “That’s the transcendent piece in this is you don’t have to be of a particular faith to join in the movement. You can be extending love to people no matter what your spiritual background.”
- ACT UP at 30: Reinvigorated for Trump Fight (NPR): “Younger generations…it’s kind of a learning experience for them to realize that there were times in history when others felt the same, and were yet not dispirited by it but found a way to plow through it and find that power.”
- Women-Led Mosque Opens to Build Place Where ‘Everybody Is Welcome’ (NBC News): “I feel that, if we have women clergy and leaders, we are in a better position to teach about compassion and love.”
- Utah Resolution Tells World: We Favor Civil Liberties for All Americans (Salt Lake Tribune): “The wording shows the world that such mean-spiritedness and incivility are ‘not who we are.'”
- As a Christian, I Didn’t Realize My Muslim Classmates Needed a Prayer Space of Their Own (Sojourners): “The world around me was constructed to, more or less, accommodate my faith. But many Muslim students cannot take for granted what I, as a Christian, was able to take for granted.”
- L.A. Responds to Trump Travel Ban With ‘Everyone Is Welcome’ Campaign (Los Angeles Times): “Diversity and inclusivity have always been cornerstones of Los Angeles culture, but there has never been a more crucial time to reinforce these points.”
- Wendy Carrillo Wants the Future To Be Female—and Unapologetic (Ms. Blog): “Stop waiting around for anyone to tap you on the shoulder and do it. You need let go of self-doubt. If there is a moment you feel you’re not ready, it’s wrong. You are more than ready to run for office.”
- The Price of Resistance (Common Dreams): “We may feel, in the face of the ruthless corporate destruction of our nation, our culture and our ecosystem, powerless and weak. But we are not. We have a power that terrifies the corporate state.”
Categories: COMPASSIONATE RESISTANCE
Michael Thaddeus Doyle
I'm a NYC-native, Latino, Jew-by-choice, hardcore WDW fan in Chicago with an Irish last name. I believe in social justice, big cities, and public transit. I do nonprofit development. I've written this blog since 2005. Believe in the world you want to live in.