This post is part of my “Compassionate Resistance” series, a regular roundup of stories of local resistance from across America. This series was inspired by and is part of Powerful Resistance, a grassroots project to counter the injustice of the current administration by promoting positive stories of justice and compassion.
- Learn more about my Compassionate Resistance series.
- Browse my Compassionate Resistance series archive.
- Follow my Compassionate Resistance Twitter feed at @Comp2Resist.
- Learn more about the Powerful Resistance project on Facebook.
- No Regrets Fifty Years After the Resistance (Huffington Post): “As we enter a movement moment today in response to the Trump administration, and millions of Americans express their dissent again by taking to the streets, a moment of reflection about these dedicated progressive predecessors…”
- Amazon Employees Pressure CEO to Kill Breitbart Ads (ThinkProgress): “Amazon’s internal push represents something of a second wave of tech activism this year aimed at institutions and policies that contradict the industry’s core ideology.”
- Badass 6th Grader Breaks Her Sexist Middle School Dress Code on Purpose to Invoke Change (Cosmopolitan): “I would be hard-pressed to understand how the size of a strap makes a substantial and material disruption.”
- The Feminist Five: Marissa Johnson (Feministing): “The way I describe it is that a lot of white people think they are really progressive already. What we put forth in our tasks isn’t easy. You have to put in the work. The gap in between the good person you think you are and who you need to be as an ally is a big gap.”
- Faith in Action: Central Jersey Events Aim to Put the UNITY Back in Community (My Central Jersey): “Hate has no home here in our community. We have gained a blessed feeling that none of us is alone, that we will stand up for each other, and that we will not be silent when any of us is victimized.”
- Black and Trans in North Carolina: The Fight for Justice Continues (Truthout): “…We were able to talk about how it is no surprise that Black trans folks are on the front lines, also behind the scenes, as we have been pushed so far to the margins. We have no other way to speak than to act…”
- Progressive Democrats (Reflector.com): “Our mission is simple: Revitalize American democracy, empower progressive leaders, and elevate the political consciousness of all people in the United States.”
- Maxine Waters Isn’t Afraid to Talk Impeachment (FiveThirtyEight): “Waters doesn’t feel burdened by restrictive politesse — she’s happy to burn bridges as a means to her ends, which is expelling Trump from the White House. This unvarnished style is why Waters has found so many new fans in the Democratic “resistance” set, particularly among younger voters.”
- Oregon Unions Stand Up to Racism, Hate (Street Roots News): “We are a diverse organization made up of all races, nationalities and sexual orientations, and it’s at our core principles to stand up for our membership.”
- Couple’s Social Justice Advocacy Spans a Lifetime (NorthJersey.com): “The key is to learn to use the written word as a vehicle for empowerment, change and a reflection of the human condition.”
Categories: COMPASSIONATE RESISTANCE
Michael Thaddeus Doyle
I'm a NYC-native, Latino, Jew-by-choice, hardcore WDW fan in Chicago with an Irish last name. I believe in social justice, big cities, and public transit. I do nonprofit development. I've written this blog since 2005. Believe in the world you want to live in.