This post is part of my “Compassionate Resistance” series, a regular roundup of stories of local resistance from across America. This series was inspired by and is part of Powerful Resistance, a grassroots project to counter the injustice of the current administration by promoting positive stories of justice and compassion.
- Learn more about my Compassionate Resistance series.
- Browse my Compassionate Resistance series archive.
- Follow my Compassionate Resistance Twitter feed at @Comp2Resist.
- Learn more about the Powerful Resistance project on Facebook.
- Twitter Refuses U.S. Order to Reveal User Behind Anti-Trump Account (Reuters): “The rights of free speech afforded Twitter’s users and Twitter itself under the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution include a right to disseminate such anonymous or pseudonymous political speech.”
- Tim Heidecker, Bard of the Anti-Trump Movement (BuzzFeed): “Right now it feels like if you’re an artist and you’re not somehow talking about what’s going on in the world, then, I don’t know, you’re gonna look back and wonder what you were doing.”
- Six Amazing Quotes About Civil Rights, Discrimination and Sexual Orientation (USA Today): “I don’t see why firing a lesbian because she is in the subset of women who are lesbian should be thought any less a form of sex discrimination than firing a woman because she’s a woman.”
- Psych Professor Works Hard for Social Justice, Empowerment (SacCity Express): “I think that teaching in a lot of ways is an act of social activism, and I think that empowering other students to get involved in community and social justice issues is very powerful.”
- People Power Activists Are Already Confronting the Powers That Be From Coast to Coast and Demanding Freedom Cities (ACLU Speak Freely): “In the past three weeks, People Power activists have put another 800 events on the map and set nearly 200 meetings with law enforcement officials. That work is beginning to pay off.”
- New York Dedicating $10 Million to Immigration Legal Services (New York Daily News): “The funding is designed to build on the Liberty Defense Project, a public/private partnership Cuomo recently announced that will offer pro-bono legal services and other resources to immigrants regardless of their status.”
- Gay Rights Advocates Just Won a Big Legal Victory. Here’s Why It’s Such a Huge Deal. (Mother Jones): “Wherever sex discrimination is prohibited under federal law, this is going to have a powerful effect.”
- These Filmmakers Will Bring Immigrant Stories to Those Who Need to See Them Most (Mashable): “We didn’t want to preach to the choir. We wanted actual impact. Getting films in front of an audience that was different from ourselves was key.”
- Roswell Graduates First Hispanic Citizens Police Academy (Atlanta Journal-Constitution): “As graduates they can speak to what our mission is and that the role of a police officer is not necessarily what they see on television. Our goal is that they can convey that we are truly here to be their guardians to other community members.”
- Girl Had A Perfect Response When Asked Why She Wanted A Black Doll (Huffington Post): “She’s a doctor like I’m a doctor. And I’m a pretty girl and she’s a pretty girl. See her pretty hair? And see her stethoscope?”
Categories: COMPASSIONATE RESISTANCE
Michael Thaddeus Doyle
I'm a NYC-native, Latino, Jew-by-choice, hardcore WDW fan in Chicago with an Irish last name. I believe in social justice, big cities, and public transit. I do nonprofit development. I've written this blog since 2005. Believe in the world you want to live in.