This post is part of my “Compassionate Resistance” series, a regular roundup of stories of local resistance from across America. This series was inspired by and is part of Powerful Resistance, a grassroots project to counter the injustice of the current administration by promoting positive stories of justice and compassion.
- Learn more about my Compassionate Resistance series.
- Browse my Compassionate Resistance series archive.
- Follow my Compassionate Resistance Twitter feed at @Comp2Resist.
- Learn more about the Powerful Resistance project on Facebook.
- ‘We Will Have None of It’: Fear, Optimism Among Us Muslims (Daily Mail): “As you look at those who are trying to ban good people from coming to this country, people who’ve committed no crime whatsoever other than in their minds the crime of being Muslim…we will have none of it.”
- Commentary: Sex, the Constitution, and Standing Up for Core Values (Philadelphia Inquirer): “America was founded not as a ‘Christian nation’ but as a nation committed to the ‘pursuit of happiness’ and to the separation of church and state.”
- Wilmington Officer Who Told Driver It’s Illegal to Record Police Demoted, Pay Cut (News&Observer): “This was a matter of maintaining the public’s trust and confidence in our agency…I cannot stress enough, that photographing and videotaping the police keeps us accountable.”
- Standing Up to Religious Prejudice (Marietta Times): “People who listen to one another respectfully find that there is common ground on which friendship and service to others can be built, thus eliminating enmity and suspicion.”
- California Senate OKs Statewide Immigrant Sanctuary Bill (NBC4 Los Angeles): “Overwhelmingly this bill is about people who are just trying to live their lives. People who are living in fear right now.”
- Muslim Teen Writes #BlackLivesMatter 100 Times for His Stanford Application Statement, Gets Accepted (The Root): “Ahmed told Mic that his ‘unapologetic progressivism’ is a central part of his identity, and he wanted that represented in his application.”
- How to Bring Social Justice to the Forefront of your Passover Dinner This Year (Huffington Post/World Post): “My hope is when we stand up from the Passover table, we’ll rise with more of a commitment to doing the work of helping refugees and making sure America is true to its legacy of welcome.”
- Rep. Maxine Waters on African Americans, Women and the Democratic Party (WDET): ““The most important thing that I did when I have been talking on MSNBC was to say to African American women…’don’t allow yourself to be undermined in ways that will stop you from being who you are.'”
- Akron Mayor Dan Horrigan Establishes Akron Civil Rights Commission (Cleveland.com): “The new Akron Civil Rights Commission, made up of five to seven people appointed by the mayor, will provide residents with a faster pathway to resolution in local discrimination issues.”
Categories: COMPASSIONATE RESISTANCE
I’m an #OpenlyAutistic gay, Hispanic, urbanist, Disney World fan, New York native, politically independent, Jewish blogger in Chicago. I believe in social justice, big cities, and public transit. I write words and raise money for nonprofits. I’ve written this blog since 2005. And counting...
Follow My Socials: linktr.ee/mikedoyleblogger
Contact Me: email@example.com