This post is part of my “Compassionate Resistance” series, a regular roundup of stories of local resistance from across America. This series was inspired by and is part of Powerful Resistance, a grassroots project to counter the injustice of the current administration by promoting positive stories of justice and compassion.
- Learn more about my Compassionate Resistance series.
- Browse my Compassionate Resistance series archive.
- Follow my Compassionate Resistance Twitter feed at @Comp2Resist.
- Learn more about the Powerful Resistance project on Facebook.
- How Did I Celebrate Becoming American? Protesting Trump (New York Times): “After the ceremony, I did not go to a park with friends. I did not have any champagne. I did not try to get a cop to give me a ticket in celebration of my newfound freedom. Instead, I did something that millions of others cannot do without fear: I joined a protest in Boston against the revised executive order on immigration.”
- City Council to Declare Portland a Sanctuary City (Oregonian): “The declaration will affirm many of the actions Portland has already taken to support its immigrants and call for training to help city officials interact with federal immigration officials in ways that are appropriate and protective to immigrants.”
- ‘The Door of Happiness Opened’: Refugee Family Builds Life in the Triangle (WRAL): “The only difference between them and me is that I speak English fluently. They’re not someone to pity, they’re someone to learn from.”
- C-U’s Message: You’re Welcome Here (News-Gazette): “I’m here because my grandfather came from Ireland. It’s an experience that has made America. This is about bringing the community around that.”
- Compassion Through Action (Rio Grande Sun): “‘There are people struggling to get by,’ he said. ‘They may have a roof, but may not have much more.’ I said, ‘Those are the folks we’re going to help.'”
- The Blue State Attorneys General Resisting Trump (Bloomberg Businessweek): “We had anticipated the administration might do something like this, and we’d already started collaborating weeks before.”
- Los Angeles Mayor Expands Immigrant Protections (US News): “Los Angeles…champions inclusiveness and tolerance, and welcomes everyone who seeks to realize their dreams and build their families here, regardless of national origin or immigration status.”
- American Muslim Teens Learn to Disarm Islamophobia (Philly.com): “The workshops, Pathan said, make them realize that “they are not alone. There is a group of Muslims here. By preparing them to respond to the questions, we help give them a voice, and that makes them feel empowered.”
Categories: COMPASSIONATE RESISTANCE
Michael Thaddeus Doyle
I'm a NYC-native, Latino, Jew-by-choice, hardcore WDW fan in Chicago with an Irish last name. I believe in social justice, big cities, and public transit. I do nonprofit development. I've written this blog since 2005. Believe in the world you want to live in.