This post is part of my “Compassionate Resistance” series, a regular roundup of stories of local resistance from across America. This series was inspired by and is part of Powerful Resistance, a grassroots project to counter the injustice of the current administration by promoting positive stories of justice and compassion.
- Learn more about my Compassionate Resistance series.
- Browse my Compassionate Resistance series archive.
- Follow my Compassionate Resistance Twitter feed at @Comp2Resist.
- Learn more about the Powerful Resistance project on Facebook.
- Michigan Muslim Woman’s ‘Hijabi’ Rap Video Catches Fire Online (VIDEO) (M Live): “She just wants to let other women know it’s OK to stand up for yourself.”
- US Muslims and Jews Strengthen Bonds Amid Acts of Bigotry (US News): “I would never have thought I would see some people in conversation, or anywhere near each other. Then I saw people on Facebook standing next to each other at protests — Muslims and Jews.”
- A Civil Rights Movement Grows in Brooklyn (JJIE): “You have to be able to have the courage enough to stand in front of these people and these entities and these institutions and let them know that, yo, this is your home. This is where you from. You don’t want to be harassed.”
- The Tech Helping Immigrants Hack the Ban (CityLab): “We’ve all been to a lot of hackathons that haven’t had a lot of clear direction—and while effort is great, a lot of the ideas don’t connect with the actual need of the community. So we wanted to identify some folks in the community where we can meet their needs.”
- Maxine Waters to Bill O’Reilly: ‘I’m a Strong Black Woman, And I Cannot Be Intimidated’ (VIDEO) (Huffington Post): “Don’t allow these right-wing talking heads, these dishonorable people, to intimidate you or scare you. Be who you are. Do what you do. And let us get on with discussing the real issues of this country.”
- 100 Rally for Trans Rights (New Haven Independent): “Look around. Look at your neighbor. What are you doing to protect your neighbor?”
- Progressive Activists Launch CallOutGorsuch.com Call Tool (Common Dreams): “Our new call tool at CallOutGorsuch.com is perhaps the easiest way for constituents to make their voices heard and tell Democrats not to cave on this critical decision.”
- LA Mayor Defends City’s Immigrant Detention Policy in Meeting with Homeland Security Chief (Los Angeles Daily News): “Asking us to detain people more than what the Constitution allows would be us breaking the (laws of the) Constitution, and we will not do that. We will not change that, and our values are not for sale.”
- Progressive Hindus Declare Queens Temple the First Sanctuary of Its Kind in US (Huffington Post/World Post): “Remember a mandir (temple) is not just a place that we come and we pray. It goes beyond that. It’s an institution for higher learning and we are learning how to allow this place to reach out to the public now. You give them shelter, a place where they can come and feel safe and secure and protected.”
- Taking It to the Streets: Anti-Trump Resistance Goes Granular with Our States, a Map-Based Organizing Project (Salon): “So what we wanted to do was create a platform that could help translate the energy in the resistance movement and direct it…to the state level, so we can ensure that these harmful policies don’t get enacted.”
Categories: COMPASSIONATE RESISTANCE
Michael Thaddeus Doyle
I'm a NYC-native, Latino, Jew-by-choice, hardcore WDW fan in Chicago with an Irish last name. I believe in social justice, big cities, and public transit. I do nonprofit development. I've written this blog since 2005. Believe in the world you want to live in.