This post is part of my “Compassionate Resistance” series, a regular roundup of stories of local resistance from across America. This series was inspired by and is part of Powerful Resistance, a grassroots project to counter the injustice of the current administration by promoting positive stories of justice and compassion.
- Learn more about my Compassionate Resistance series.
- Browse my Compassionate Resistance series archive.
- Follow my Compassionate Resistance Twitter feed at @Comp2Resist.
- Learn more about the Powerful Resistance project on Facebook.
- Hundreds Circle Mother Mosque in Cedar Rapids to Show Solidarity for Muslims (The Gazette): “Muslims, Jews, Sikhs, Hindus, Meskwaki Native Americans, atheists and Christians spoke at the event to show support for Muslims and religious freedom.”
- Got a Fake News Headache? Dive Instead into Real News about Progressive Victories (Salon): “Uplifting local actions are blooming throughout our land, yet most people are unaware of them or the results — that people and communities everywhere are breaking the corporate chains that shackle them. Here are a few examples of such local actions.”
- Indian Americans Raise $100,000 for Kansas Man Who Took Bullet for Desis (Times of India): “I was just doing what anyone should have done for another human being. It’s not about where he’s from, or ethnicity. We’re all humans.”
- Man Who Plans 4,225-Mile Bicycle Ride Has Extra Gear for Compassion (Leader-Telegram): “On the 4,225-mile trek to Astoria, Ore., he plans to talk with people he meets along the way to catalog American perspectives of the refugee crisis and to advocate for acceptance of refugees in the U.S.”
- “Time to show who we are”: Speaking Out for Muslim Women’s Day (CBS News): “When the election happened, and the results came in, my heart sank. But I saw right afterwards people coming together.”
- Getting Kids to Be Activists Through a Graphic Novel (AFL-CIO Now): “From the Triangle Shirtwaist factory fire to international child labor activism to farm worker safety, the book focuses on the long arc of social justice.”
- An Array of Christian Churches Opposes Donald Trump’s Proposed Cuts to Foreign Aid (Economist): “They made the simple point that a prosperous country should share some of its riches with others.”
- Sick of Online Hate? So Is This Billionaire Philanthropist (Inside Philanthropy): “The Omidyar Network is providing seed funding for an (Anti-Defamation League) center in Silicon Valley that will help digital companies find ways to fight online hate.”
- County Kicks in $3.5M for Immigrant Support (Palo Alto Online): “Ia unanimous vote, supervisors agreed to devote…county funds for hiring attorneys to represent immigrants in need of legal assistance, including representation for those facing deportation and for immigrants seeking to become legal residents.”
- Churches in West Regroup in Sanctuary Movement (The Journal): “More than 800 congregations across denominations have signed a sanctuary pledge promising to provide a safe haven for those threatened with deportation.”
Categories: COMPASSIONATE RESISTANCE
Michael Thaddeus Doyle
I'm a NYC-native, Latino, Jew-by-choice, hardcore WDW fan in Chicago with an Irish last name. I believe in social justice, big cities, and public transit. I do nonprofit development. I've written this blog since 2005. Believe in the world you want to live in.