This post is part of my “Compassionate Resistance” series, a regular roundup of stories of local resistance from across America. This series was inspired by and is part of Powerful Resistance, a grassroots project to counter the injustice of the current administration by promoting positive stories of justice and compassion.
- Learn more about my Compassionate Resistance series.
- Browse my Compassionate Resistance series archive.
- Follow my Compassionate Resistance Twitter feed at @Comp2Resist.
- Learn more about the Powerful Resistance project on Facebook.
- Sanctuary Cities Are as Old as the Bible (JSTOR Daily): “The competing meanings of sanctuary—to preserve the lives of murderers; to create temporary safety for fugitives; to maintain basic well-being for people fleeing oppression; to guarantee human rights—may keep the global debate about our obligations to each other alive.”
- How the ACLU Is Training Protesters in the ‘Resistance’ Movement (Christian Science Monitor): “We will bring all the lawsuits necessary to defend these rights. We’ll do the work in the courts. You do the work in the streets. People are motivated.”
- New San Francisco Ordinance Keeps the City from Cooperating with Any Religion-Based Registry (Colorlines): “Advocates in the Bay Area say that the anti-registry ordinance is the first of its kind to be passed in the nation.”
- Garth Brooks Speaks Out on Songwriter Rights and Preserving Federal Funding for the Arts at SXSW (CMT News): “It’s worth fighting for. You can’t let those arts go. You just can’t. It’s what defines our generation. It’s what defines your country.”
- Live Readings of the United States Constitution (The Mountain-Ear): “People usually groan at certain points, like when Prohibition was enacted and more recently during the Emoluments Clause, and cheer at others: the end of slavery, the granting of the vote to all ethnicity, and women.”
- Hijab in Sports: How Muslim Women Athletes Are Fighting for Acceptance (Rolling Stone): “It can be noted that we don’t refer to any other athlete who observes a faith by a religious accessory, be it a necklace or tattoo featuring a cross, the Star of David, or a ‘Karma’ symbol.”
- Refugees Welcome Here, Rosendale Says (Daily Freeman): ““The US…shouldn’t be imposing unnecessarily restrictive policies at this time. There’s a global crisis.”
- Albuquerque Quaker Church Gives Sanctuary to Immigrant Women (US News): “While we have a duty to follow just laws, we have a moral obligation to oppose unjust laws and policies.”
- Nevada Ratifies the Equal Rights Amendment…35 Years After the Deadline (SOURCE): “…For ERA supporters such as Democratic state Sen. Pat Spearman, that deadline is little more than a paper tiger. ‘It was in the resolving clause, but it wasn’t a part of the amendment that was proposed by Congress…That’s why the time limit is irrelevant.'”
- Introducing the F.U.C.K. I.T.T. List (Bitch Media): “Every month, we’ll be tackling a new phrase from the liar-at-large’s lexicon and pulling back the veil to help our community stay critical and savvy of the media that surrounds us.”
Categories: COMPASSIONATE RESISTANCE
I’m an #OpenlyAutistic gay, Hispanic, urbanist, Disney World fan, New York native, politically independent, Jewish blogger in Chicago. I believe in social justice, big cities, and public transit. I write words and raise money for nonprofits. I’ve written this blog since 2005. And counting...
Follow My Socials: linktr.ee/mikedoyleblogger
Contact Me: email@example.com