This post is part of my “Compassionate Resistance” series, a regular roundup of stories of local resistance from across America. This series was inspired by and is part of Powerful Resistance, a grassroots project to counter the injustice of the current administration by promoting positive stories of justice and compassion.
- Learn more about my Compassionate Resistance series.
- Browse my Compassionate Resistance series archive.
- Follow my Compassionate Resistance Twitter feed at @Comp2Resist.
- Learn more about the Powerful Resistance project on Facebook.
- White Allies Need to Stand with Immigrants (Albuquerque Journal): “We already have people who are willing to sign an online petition or write a check to help us do our work. Some may even come out to a rally. But what we really need are people who will help us get our voices heard.”
- Love, Support and Compassion (Harrisburg Magazine): “It’s easy to make judgments about people you’ve never met…and maybe not think that they should be here. Really, these are people like you and me. They are families trying to escape bad situations. They just want to have normal lives.”
- Muslim, Jewish Communities Show Mutual Support Through Storytelling (KPCC): “What happened was I was looking at the politics, waking up at three in the morning and, unfortunately, looking at the Facebook feed, and I realized my Muslim friends were calling out the anti-Semitism before the Jews even knew about it. There was this feeling for me of I don’t even have to ask because they’re there.”
- Immigrant Advocates Launch Plan to Counter Trump Proposals (NJTV News): “Activists say the plan they unveiled today is a blueprint for how New Jersey state officials can support immigrants and the working class, including by increasing access to social services and affordable housing, fighting for an increased minimum wage and against wage theft and expanding access to health care, legal services and drivers’ licenses.”